mPEG-aldehyde (propionaldehyde) (mPEG-ALD) reacts with amine and N-terminal of peptide and protein to form an imine. Imine contains a C=N double bond and reduction converts imine to a secondary amine. Without further reduction, imine bond is acid labile and hydrolytically unstable. PEG aldehyde or ketone is useful in reversible PEGylation through its reaction with hydrazine or hydrazide forming a hydrolytic acyl hydrazone linkage. PEG butyraldehyde may be available through custom synthesis.
Molecular weight: MW of PEG was measured by MALDI-MS or GPC. PDI (polydispersity index) of our linear PEG is 1.02-1.05 with very narrow MW distribution. The number of repeating ethylene oxide units (CH2CH2O) or the degree of polymerization is calculated dividing the PEG MW by 44 (44 is the molecular mass of one repeating unit).
Solubility: Soluble in water and aqueous buffer, chloroform, methylene chloride, DMF, DMSO, and less soluble in alcohol, toluene. Not soluble in ether.
Density: PEG density is approximately 1.125 g/mL
Physical form: PEG products generally appear as white or off-white powder, and for very low MW linear PEG such as MW 1k or less, it may appear as wax-like, semi-solid material due to the low MW and the type of functional groups.
Storage condition: PEG product shall be stored in the original form as received in a freezer at -20C or lower for long term storage. Stock solution of PEG reagents that do not contain oxygen or moisture sensitive functional groups may be temporarily stored in a refrigerator or ambient temperature for multiple days. Stock solution should avoid repeated freeze-and-thaw cycles. See Documents section for detailed storage and handling conditions.
1. The effect of the acid-sensitivity of 4-(N)-stearoyl gemcitabineloaded micelles on drug resistance caused by RRM1 overexpression, Biomaterials. 2013 March; 34(9): 2327â€“2339, Text.
2. Fluorinated block co-polymers. U.S. Patent No. 8,691,284. 8 Apr. 2014. Text
3. Biocompatible adhesive polymers. Biocompatible adhesive polymers. U.S. Patent No. 8,907,045. 9 Dec. 2014. Text
4. Mechanically tunable, human mesenchymal stem cell viable poly(ethylene glycol) oxime hydrogels with invariant precursor composition, concentration, and stoichiometry, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mtchem.2018.11.003
5. Mechanisms of activity loss for a multi-PEGylated protein by experiment and simulation, Materials Today Chemistry, 12, 2019, 121-131, doi: 10.1016/j.mtchem.2018.12.007
Click here to view an expanded list of hundreds of publications citing Creative PEGWorks products.