MAL-PEG-MAL is a linear bifunctional PEGylation cross linker with two maleimide. MAL selectively reacts with free thiol, sulfhydryl, or mercapto group via Michael addition to form a stable carbon sulfur bond. MAL-PEG-MAL is useful for site specific protein and peptide crosslinking. Hydroquinone at ~200 ppm is present in the product as inhibitors.
Molecular weight: MW of PEG was measured by MALDI-MS or GPC. PDI (polydispersity index) of our linear PEG is 1.02-1.05 with very narrow MW distribution. The number of repeating ethylene oxide units (CH2CH2O) or the degree of polymerization is calculated dividing the PEG MW by 44 (44 is the molecular mass of one repeating unit).
Solubility: Soluble in water and aqueous buffer, chloroform, methylene chloride, DMF, DMSO, and less soluble in alcohol, toluene. Not soluble in ether.
Density: PEG density is approximately 1.125 g/mL
Physical form: PEG products generally appear as white or off-white powder, and for very low MW linear PEG such as MW 1k or less, it may appear as wax-like, semi-solid material due to the low MW and the type of functional groups.
Storage condition: PEG product shall be stored in the original form as received in a freezer at -20C or lower for long term storage. Stock solution of PEG reagents that do not contain oxygen or moisture sensitive functional groups may be temporarily stored in a refrigerator or ambient temperature for multiple days. Stock solution should avoid repeated freeze-and-thaw cycles. See Documents section for detailed storage and handling conditions.
1. Crosslinking Proteins and Hydrogels – Controlling topological entanglement in engineered protein hydrogels with a variety of thiol coupling chemistries, Front. Chem. 2:23. doi: 10.3389/fchem.2014.00023, Text.
2. Steven R. Tannenbaum, S-nitrosation of proteins relevant to Alzheimer’s disease during early stages of neurodegeneration,
3. Engineering Elastin-like Polypeptide-Poly (ethylene glycol) Multiblock Physical Networks. Biomacromolecules. 2017 Dec. Text.
4. Peptides of pHLIP family for targeted intracellular and extracellular delivery of cargo molecules to tumors. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 115.12 (2018): E2811-E2818, Text.
5. A Combination of Tri-Leucine and Angiopep-2 Drives a Poly-Anionic Polymalic Acid Nanodrug Platform Across the Blood-Brain Barrier, ACS Nano, 2019, doi: 10.1021/acsnano.8b06437.
Click here to view an expanded list of hundreds of publications citing Creative PEGWorks products.