4-Arm PEG-Thiol is a multiarmed PEG derivative with thiol at each terminal of the four arms connected to one pentaerythritol core. The free thiol, SH, sulfhydryl, or mercapto groups selectively react with maleimide. Thiol also reacts with transition metal surface including gold, silver forming PEG coating. PEG-SH can be easily air oxidized to form S-S disulfide bonds, which is reversible with reducing agents such as TECP. It is a useful reagent for reversible PEGylation and preparing PEG hydrogel.
Molecular weight: 4-Arm PEG MW refers to the MW of the entire PEG molecule. The MW of each arm is 1/4 of the MW indicated in the product name. MW of PEG was measured by MALDI-MS or GPC. PDI (polydispersity index) of our 4-Arm PEG is 1.02-1.05 with very narrow MW distribution. The number of repeating ethylene oxide units (CH2CH2O) or the degree of polymerization is calculated dividing the PEG MW by 44 (44 is the molecular mass of one repeating unit).
Solubility: Soluble in water and aqueous buffer, chloroform, methylene chloride, DMF, DMSO, and less soluble in alcohol, toluene. Not soluble in ether.
Density: PEG density is approximately 1.125 g/mL.
Physical form: PEG products generally appear as white or off-white powder, and for very low MW 4-Arm PEG such as MW 2k, it may appear as wax-like, semi-solid material due to the low MW and the type of functional groups.
Storage condition: PEG product shall be stored in the original form as received in a freezer at -20C or lower for long term storage. Stock solution of PEG reagents that do not contain oxygen or moisture sensitive functional groups may be temporarily stored in a refrigerator or ambient temperature for multiple days. Stock solution should avoid repeated freeze-and-thaw cycles. See Documents section for detailed storage and handling conditions.
1. PEG Hydrogel – Thiolated hyaluronan-based hydrogels crosslinked using oxidized glutathione: An injectable matrix designed for ophthalmic applications, Acta Biomaterialia 10 (2014) 94â€“103, Text.
2. Dual-Responsive Breakdown of Nanostructures with High Doxorubicin Payload for Apoptotic Anticancer Therapy. Small 9.2 (2013): 284-293. Text.
3. Improved vascularization of porous scaffolds through growth factor delivery from heparinized polyethylene glycol hydrogels, Acta Biomaterialia, 2017, Text.
4. Vitronectin-Based, Biomimetic Encapsulating Hydrogel Scaffolds Support Adipogenesis of Adipose Stem Cells, Tissue Engineering Part A. March 2016, 22(7-8): 597-609. Text.
5. Adipose Stem Cells Incorporated in Fibrin Clot Modulate Expression of Growth Factors. Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic & Related Surgery. 2017 Oct 31. Text.
6. Adhesive liposomes loaded onto an injectable, self-healing and antibacterial hydrogel for promoting bone reconstruction, NPG Asia Materials, volume 11, Article number: 81 (2019), Text.
7. Design of Polymer Network and Li+ Solvation Enables Thermally and Oxidatively Stable, Mechanically Reliable, and Highly Conductive Polymer Gel Electrolyte for Lithium Batteries, J. Electrochem. Soc. 168 090538, Text.
Click here to view an expanded list of thousands of publications citing Creative PEGWorks products.