4-Arm PEG-MAL is a multiarmed PEG derivative with maleimide at each terminal of the four arms connected to one pentaerythritol core. Maleimide selectively reacts with free thiol, SH, sulfhydryl, or mercapto group via Michael addition to form a stable thioether bond. PEG-MAL useful for site specific protein and peptide modification. Hydroquinone MEHQ at ~ 200 ppm may be present as inhibitors to prevent self polymerization and partial crosslinking. MEHQ may be removed per customer request.
Molecular weight: 4-Arm PEG MW refers to the MW of the entire PEG molecule. The MW of each arm is 1/4 of the MW indicated in the product name. MW of PEG was measured by MALDI-MS or GPC. PDI (polydispersity index) of our 4-Arm PEG is 1.02-1.05 with very narrow MW distribution. The number of repeating ethylene oxide units (CH2CH2O) or the degree of polymerization is calculated dividing the PEG MW by 44 (44 is the molecular mass of one repeating unit).
Solubility: Soluble in water and aqueous buffer, chloroform, methylene chloride, DMF, DMSO, and less soluble in alcohol, toluene. Not soluble in ether.
Density: PEG density is approximately 1.125 g/mL.
Physical form: PEG products generally appear as white or off-white powder, and for very low MW 4-Arm PEG such as MW 2k, it may appear as wax-like, semi-solid material due to the low MW and the type of functional groups.
Storage condition: PEG product shall be stored in the original form as received in a freezer at -20C or lower for long term storage. Stock solution of PEG reagents that do not contain oxygen or moisture sensitive functional groups may be temporarily stored in a refrigerator or ambient temperature for multiple days. Stock solution should avoid repeated freeze-and-thaw cycles. See Documents section for detailed storage and handling conditions.
1. Engineering of the function of diamond-like carbon binding peptides through structural design. Biomacromolecules 16.2 (2015): 476-482. Text
2. Photochemical Design of Stimuli-Responsive Nanoparticles Prepared by Supramolecular Host-Guest Chemistry. Macromolecules (2015). Text.
3. Reduction of measurement noise in a continuous glucose monitor by coating the sensor with a zwitterionic polymer. Nature Biomedical Engineering (2018): 1, Text.
4. Nucleopore-Inspired Polymer Hydrogels for Selective Biomolecular Transport. Biomacromolecules (2018), Text.
5. Peptides of pHLIP family for targeted intracellular and extracellular delivery of cargo molecules to tumors. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 115.12 (2018): E2811-E2818, Text.
6. Development of an aggregate-selective, human-derived synuclein antibody BIIB054 that ameliorates disease phenotypes in Parkinson disease models, Neurobiology of Disease, 2018, DOI: 10.1016/j.nbd.2018.10.016, Text.
Click here to view an expanded list of hundreds of publications citing Creative PEGWorks products.