High purity Hyaluronic Acid (HA) is manufactured by bacterial fermentation. HA has carboxylic acid groups useful for bioconjugation or further derivatization with primary amines. Hyaluronan (Hyaluronate) is an anionic, non-sulfated glycosaminoglycan distributed throughout connective, epithelial, and neural tissues. HA is a most common polysaccharide biopolymer in biomedical research. Applications include drug delivery, hydrogel, tissue engineering, regenerative medicine and soft implant and contact lens. HA has a general CAS# 9004-61-9.
Name and Source: Hyaluronic acid (HA, Hyaluronan, Hyaluronate) is an anionic, non-sulfated glycosaminoglycan distributed widely throughout connective, epithelial, and neural tissues. CAS# 9004-61-9. Our HA products are produced via microbial fermentation. See Documents section for details.
Appearance: White, lyophilized powder.
Solubility: Soluble in water and the solubility data varies with MW. Higher MW results in lowered solubility. Typically solubility ranges 5-50 mg/mL, that is, 0.5%-5%. Buffered solution at pH >6 enhances solubility due to deprotonation of carboxylic acid groups and formation of carboxylate salts. HA derivatives with hydrophobic groups will lower the solubility in water, and adding alcohol or DMSO to an alcohol-water or DMSO-water mixture can dramatically improve the solubility up to 200 mg/mL (20%).
1) Synergistic antitumor activity of camptothecinâ€“doxorubicin combinations and their conjugates with hyaluronic acid, Journal of Controlled Release, 2015, 210, 198-207. Text.
2. Reloadable multidrug capturing delivery system for targeted ischemic disease treatment, Science Translational Medicine, 2016, 8, 365, 365ra160, Text.
3. Targeted delivery of hyaluronic acid to the ocular surface by a polymer-peptide conjugate system for dry eye disease, Acta Biomaterialia, Volume 55, 2017, 163-171, Text.
4. A hyaluronic acid conjugate engineered to synergistically and sequentially deliver gemcitabine and doxorubicin to treat triple negative breast cancer, Journal of Controlled Release, 2017, Text.
5. Harnessing the Versatility of Bacterial Collagen to Improve the Chondrogenic Potential of Porous Collagen Scaffolds, Adv Healthc Mater. 2016;5(13):1656-66, Text.
6. Supramolecular Hydrogels Based on MPEG-Grafted Hyaluronic Acid and Î±-CD Containing HP-Î²-CD/Simvastatin Enhance Osteogenesis In Vivo, Text.
7. Low-molecular-weight polymerâ€“drug conjugates for synergistic anticancer activity of camptothecin and doxorubicin combinations,
11. Injectable hyaluronic acid hydrogels encapsulating drug nanocrystals for long-term treatment of inflammatory arthritis, Bioeng Transl Med. 2022;7:e10245, Text.
12. Hyaluronic acid conjugates for topical treatment of skin cancer lesions, Sci. Adv. 2021; 7 : eabe6627 11 June 2021, Text.
13. Supramolecular host-guest hyaluronic acid hydrogels enhance corneal wound healing through dynamic spatiotemporal effects, The Ocular Surface, Volume 23, 2022, 148-161, Text.
Click here to view an expanded list of hundreds of publications citing Creative PEGWorks products.